Skip to main content Skip to footer

Burn Permits

If you require assistance with obtaining your burn permit or have additional questions please contact the Fire Department Administration office.

Frequently Asked Burning Questions

No, you do not require a burn permit for a campfire/cooking fire.

You need to always stay with your fire and have a means to put out the fire nearby at all times.

Follow the requirements of the burning by-law 2022-50 to ensure your campfire or cooking fire meet the allowable requirements for those types of fires, as stated in the by-law.

Burn permits are required for open air/outdoor burning and will still expire on December 31 of each year.

2023 permits can be obtained:

If you have trouble accessing the online system, need assistance or have questions, please contact Cara Wood, 705-295-6880 Ext. 215 or by email

Once you create an account using an email address, the system will require the property(ies) you would like a permit for to be entered. Once you submit your request for a permit, it will then be reviewed for  authorization consideration by the fire department, prior to you being able activate the permit.

The property owner is the only person who can obtain a burn permit.

If another person needs to get a permit (i.e. renter, etc.), they need to have the owner obtain the permit and provide it to the renter.

If there is an extenuating situation where a person needs a permit and is not the owner, please contact the fire department to give the specifics about the situation. At that time, the fire department administration staff will advise if there is a way for you to get a permit or not.

Permits can only be issued to the landowner for properties where there is sufficient property to be able to burn under the conditions set out in the current open-air burning by-law 2022-50 (maintaining 150 metres (500 feet) from any building).

The only materials able to be burned with a burn permit are wood and wood by-products.

A landowner may be subject to fees and fines, if open air/outdoor burning is found to be being conducted under any of the following conditions:

  1. without a permit,
  2. not following the requirements of the current burning by-law,
  3. using a burn barrel, or
  4. burning waste and/or garbage or other products not permitted by the burning by-law.

Burn permits are not required for campfires or recreational fires.

 No, there is currently no fee for burn permits.

Burn permit limitations fall within By-law 2022-50.

Fires shall not be more than one cubic meter of wood or wood by-products material burning at one time.

All fires shall be at least 150 meters (500 feet) from any building.

The Fire Chief has the authority to issue special permission for burns outside of what the burning by-law/permit allows.

If you have this situation please contact the fire department office to arrange for the Fire Chief to come and inspect your pile and the location of the proposed burn.

Please contact the Fire Department Administration Office on Monday - Friday , 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. to set up time for an inspection.

Please call the office in advance of the intended burn day with as much notice as possible.

The only allowable material for burning is wood or wood by-products.

Burn permits are valid for the calendar year. All burn permits expire on December 31 of each year.

Renewals can be done online at, by call or stopping into the office in person.

Burning in a burn barrel is not permitted in the Township of Otonabee-South Monaghan.

By-Law 2022-50 permits a campfire, for warmth or recreational enjoyment, and does not require a permit.

Ensure your campfire meets the requirements listed in the by-law for size and spacing.

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.