Skip to main content Skip to footer

Animal Services

Please contact the Dog Control Officer if you would like to:

  • Report a missing dog
  • Report a dog running at large
  • Ask questions about dog ownership within the Township

Dog Control, Tags & Licences

Puppy running on grass toward viewer with mouth open looked happy

The Dog Control Officer is responsible for enforcing the Township's Dog Control By-law.

All dogs must have a dog tag and be under control at all times. Dog owners are subject to penalties or prosecution under the Dog Control By-law and/or the Dog Owners' Liability Act.

All dogs in the Township must have a dog tag. Once your dog has a tag, dog licence fees are billed annually.

If your dog passes away, please contact the Township to let us know, so  you are not billed for the next year. 

Type of licence Cost
First or second dog $20.00
First or second dog (spayed/neutered) $15.00
Third or subsequent dog (spayed/neutered) $25.00
Third or subsequent dog $30.00
Replacement tag $10.00

Puppies under 12 weeks of age do not require a dog tag. 

Breeding and Boarding Kennels require a licence.

The Township does not licence any other animals at this time.

You must follow exotic animal restrictions if you have a non-traditional pet (anything other than a dog or cat).

White puppy in a kennel, with its paws on the top of the kennel

All kennels (private and commercial) operating in the Township of Otonabee-South Monaghan must have a kennel licence.

The Kennel By-law has information about kennel requirements and regulations.

All other questions can be directed to the Dog Control Officer.

Kennel Fees

Below are first time fees and renewal fees for kennel licenses. Kennel licenses must be renewed every year. 

Licence Type First Time Fee Renewal Fee
Commercial Boarding Kennel $200.00 $150.00
Commercial Breeding Kennel $175.00 $125.00
Private Kennel $150.00 $100.00

Charges & Fines

If the Dog Control Officer finds your dog running at large you will be fined and pick-up charges/fines may apply. 

1st offence in any 12 month period.

2nd offence in any 12 month period.

3rd offence in any 12 month period.

  • $30.00 per dog plus boarding fees.
  • $60.00 per dog plus boarding fees.
  • $120.00 per dog plus boarding fees.

Payment of Licences & Fees

Methods of Payment

There are various ways that a resident can pay their dog tag fees/licences.

While logged in to your online banking, add 'Otonabee-South Monaghan - Taxes' as a payee (we currently do not have a general option). 

Add the customer number listed on your invoice.

Please ensure there are 15 or 19 digits, depending on your bank's requirements, by adding zeros in front the customer number.

i.e. 000000000002568, if you receive an error, your bank requires 19 digits 0000000000000002568.

To pay in person by way of:

  • cash,
  • debit, or
  • cheque

please visit the Township office located at 20 Third Street, Keene, during regular business hours:

  • Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.

Mail a cheque to:

Township of Otonabee-South Monaghan
20 Third Street,
PO Box 70,
Keene Ontario, K0L 2G0

Please make the cheque payable to:
The Township of Otonabee-South Monaghan.

Animal Related Resources

A turquoise snake coiled around a wooden stick

The Township has an Exotic Animal By-Law which prohibits the keeping, exhibition, and transportation of exotic animals.

Please see the by-law for a full list of prohibited animals.  

Livestock, poultry, or other farm animals are only permitted in areas zoned for agriculture. Residential properties to not permit livestock, poultry, or other farm animals as pets.

Farm animals in a cricle

The Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA) runs the Ontario Wildlife Damage Compensation Program.

This program provides compensation to owners who have had their livestock killed by coyotes, bears, or other wild animals.

You must contact a livestock investigator within 48 hours of discovering the death of the livestock to be eligible for compensation.

Livestock Investigators

  • William Lauchlan 705-939-6532
  • Debra Haigh 705-939-6791

If you feel that an animal is a threat to public safety, contact OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or 9-1-1.

Injured Animals

Contact information is available below for a sick, injured, or abandoned animal:

Dead Animals

  • Highway 7/Highway 28
    • Contact the Ministry of Transportation at 705-639-2007
  • Township Property 
    • Contact the Township office at 705-295-6852 or by Email
  • County Property
    • Contact the County of Peterborough Public Works Department at 705-775-2737 or via this link report a dead animal
  • Owner's Property
    • Property owners are responsible for dealing with dead animals on their own property, see this link for tips

This website uses cookies to enhance usability and provide you with a more personal experience. By using this website, you agree to our use of cookies as explained in our Privacy Policy.